Tax Resources and Information
The IRS has announced that individual and business taxpayers will no longer receive paper income tax packages in the mail from the IRS. The IRS is taking this step because of the continued growth in electronic filing and the availability of free options to taxpayers, as well as to help reduce costs.
There are numerous free options available for taxpayers to obtain tax products, tax preparation and assistance in filing their tax returns:
- Forms and instructions are available online (see links below).
- Marshall Public Library will have paper copies of a limited number of popular forms available for free. Library staff can assist you in finding and printing tax forms, although legal and ethical codes prohibit staff from giving income tax advice or opinions. Normal printing and copy fees will apply to all tax forms printed from the internet or photocopied.
- Limited quantities of Printed forms from both the Idaho State Tax Commission and the IRS are now available on a first come first served basis.
In Person Tax assistance
Tax Aide, AARP's free volunteer-run tax counseling and preparation service is available here at the library every Monday evening from 5-8:30 pm & Tuesday and Thursday days from 10am-3pm during the tax season.
- This year they will here from Monday February 1, 2016 until Thursday April 14, 2016. On Tuesday March 8, 2016 due to the Presidential Primary Election polling places here at Marshall Public Library, AARP Tax Aide will prepare taxes at the Pocatello Senior Center (427 North 6th Ave Pocatello, ID).
- In Pocatello, Tax-Aide volunteers will file taxes for anybody with a simple return (no farms, small businesses, rental property or extensive stock sales).
- Please bring photo ID, Social Security cards, W2’s and last year’s tax return. For a checklist of important documents to bring with you please visit the AARP Tax-Aid web site.
IRS Free File Do your Federal Taxes online with IRS free file.
Internal Revenue Service Home Page The IRS web site contains a wealth of
federal tax information and resources.
Internal Revenue Service Forms and Publications Federal forms and instructions (also includes forms from previous years).
El IRS en Español Información sobre impuestos en Español.
A limited number of forms are also available at the IRS office:
275 S. 5th Ave. (OMNI Building)
Pocatello, ID 83201 (208) 236-6795
1-800-829-1040 for tax information
1-800-829-3676 to request forms
State of Idaho E-file State E-file information.
Idaho State Tax Commission State tax forms. Also includes forms from previous years.
A limited number of forms are also available at the Idaho State Tax Commission Pocatello Office:
611 Wilson Ave., Suite 5, Pocatello ID 83201-5046
Tax Information Pocatello Office 236-6244
Refund Information & Tax Forms 1-888-228-5770
For other states' tax forms, visit http://www.taxadmin.org/state-tax-agencies
Other Tax Help:
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) @ I.S.U.
Returns are prepared for free by ISU accounting students and reviewed by professors and tax professionals for worry-free returns. Anyone with an income of $52,000 or less qualifies. Please bring photo ID, Social Security cards, W2’s and last year’s tax return. Located in I.S.U. Rendezvous Lab Room 213 (921 South 8th Ave Pocatello, ID) and open every Thursday from 5-9pm (January 29th-March 19th, 2016)
IRS Free File (https://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free) IRS Free File provides options for free brand-name tax software or online fill able forms plus free electronic filing. Everyone can use Free File to prepare a federal tax return. Taxpayers who make $60,000 or less can choose from 20 commercial software providers. There's no income limit for Free File Fill able Forms, the electronic version of IRS paper forms, which also has free e-filing.
Local Tax Service Provider Map Online map of various local commercial tax preparation providers (these services are not free).